LocationGoose Creek, SC
Employment TypeDirect Placement
Study and analyze all current Product Development processes and procedures and look for opportunity to re-design current PD systems. Communicate your recommendations to executive team and manage the implementation of any approved change. Research, Design, and Develop good selling Decorative Lighting products the company can promote and sell through various channels of distribution (Show Room, Mass Merchant, Internet Retail, Home Furnishings, etc.). Mentor and supervise Industrial Design Summer Interns. Develop Summer Intern program to the appropriate level given the current constraints and circumstances.
- Research : Study and analyze current PD system and manage the re-design of any needed system change. Work with all Product specialists to re-design our item creation process. Perform Company and Market product research. Study the company’s product offerings from different perspectives (Style, Price, and Function), and do a GAP analysis to help drive/suggest design direction. Research and review major competitors’ product line from different perspectives to help drive/suggest design direction. Research and review "general" home furnishing/fashion market conditions and trends (through magazines, periodicals, attending markets, design field trips, etc.) to help drive/suggest design direction.
- Design: Sketch and/or Render new designs based on independent research, company research, or any specific customer requested project.
- Develop: Track and further develop designs by traveling to China to review samples, make changes, discuss pricing, develop relationships, and look for new product development opportunities.
- Mentor Design Intern: Assist in recruiting, mentoring, and training summer interns. Provide interns with the environment to learn and grow professionally and an opportunity to create marketable product for the company through specific design assignments or by tapping into fresh new ideas.
- Develop Summer Intern Program: Work with Director of Product Development to guide and execute the development of the intern program as appropriate – given current and foreseeable business conditions. (Product Development Department workload and growth)
- Attend and work the company’s annual warehouse sale.
- Attend company meetings, departmental meetings, and one-on-one meetings.
- Travel to Dallas market and on China Product Development Trips.
- Make product or design presentations to Sales, customers, Product Development field trips, or to various departments at company goal update meetings, etc.
- Bachelor's degree, 2-5 years of industrial design experience required, or equivalent combination of education and experience; Master’s degree in Design Management preferred
- Design management skills, to help assess current PD systems and plan for future
- Excellent sketching ability and ability to convert sketch to a 3D color rendering that very closely mimics what the final product will look like
- Creative and artistic, but also business minded
- Organized, self-starter, and self-motivated
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good public speaker
- Strong leadership skills
Travel required, and overseas travel to China may be required.
All applicants must submit to background check and drug screening.
This position does not offer sponsorship
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities